Butter – 1/4 cup
Onions – 2, sliced
Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
Fresh Root Ginger – 1 inch piece, grated
Ground Cumin – 1 tsp
Ground Coriander – 1 tblsp
Cardamom Pods – 6
Cinnamon Stick – 2 inch piece
Ground Turmeric – 1 tsp
Fresh Red Chilli – 1, seeded and finely chopped
Potato – 1, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
Eggplant – 1 small, chopped
Mushrooms – 1 1/2 cups, chopped
Water – 3/4 cup
Green Beans – 115 gms, cut into 1 inch lengths
Plain Yogurt – 4 tblsp
Double Cream – 2/3 cups
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Ground Black Pepper – to required
Salt – to taste
Fresh Coriander Sprigs – to garnish
Boiled Rice and Pappadums – to serve
1. Melt the butter in a heavy pan. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes then stir in the cumin, coriander, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, turmeric and finely chopped chilli. Cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
2. Add the potato cubes, eggplants and mushrooms and the water. Cover the pan, bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add the beans and cook, uncovered for 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon remove the vegetables to a warmed serving dish and keep hot.
4. Allow the cooking liquid to bubble up until it has reduced a little. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then stir in the yogurt, double cream and garam masala.
5. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and garnish with fresh coriander.
6. Serve with boiled rice and pappadums.