Refined Flour – 2 1/4 cups
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Gingelly Oil – 1 cup
Plantain Leaves or Butter Paper – few
Bengal Gram Dal – 1 1/2 cups
Red Gram Dal – 1/2 cup
Coconut – 1 fresh, grated
Jaggery – 1/2 kg, powdered
Green Cardamoms – 4 to 6, powdered
1. Make a dough with the refined flour, salt, turmeric powder, 1/4 cup oil and sufficient water.
2. Pour 1/2 cup oil over the dough and set aside.
3. To make the filling, pressure cook the bengal gram dal and the red gram dal. Drain and set aside. Make sure that the dals are not overcooked.
4. Roast the grated coconut for a couple of minutes. Add the powdered jaggery and simmer on low heat till the jaggery melts completely.
5. Add the cooked dals and continue to simmer till the mixture blends and thickness. Set aside to cool.
6. Grind the filling to a fine paste, adding the powdered cardamoms.
7. To make the pancakes, knead the dough to incorporate the oil. Take a small ball of the dough and place it on an oiled plantain leaf and flatten with the hand like a chappati. Place a small amount of filling in the centre. Fold the dough over the filling and flatten once again with the hand.
8. Heat a tawa and fry both sides of the pancake till done, using very little oil.
9. Make the remaining pancakes in the same way.
10. Serve hot or cold with ghee.