Green Plantains – 3, raw
Tamarind – Lime sized ball
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Green Chillies – 2, slit lengthwise
Karamadhu Podi (Poriyal Powder) – 1 tblsp
Fresh Coconut – 2 tblsp, grated
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Black Gram Dal – 1 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilli – 1, halved
Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
1. Peel the green plaintains and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
2. Soak the tamarind in 3/4 cup of water and extract the juice.
3. In a pan, add the plantains, tamarind juice, turmeric powder and salt and cook covered on low heat till the vegetable is tender and dry. Set aside.
4. Heat oil and add all the ingredients for temepring. When the mustard seeds splutter, add the slit green chillies and the cooked plaintains.
5. Sprinkle in the poriyal powder and the grated coconut and cook for another minute for the flavours to blend.
6. Serve hot with rice.