Paneer – 2 cups
Potatoes – 4, boiled
Corn Meal – 1/4 cup (Cornmeal is flour ground from dried corn)
Ajwain – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Roasted Gram – 2 tblsp
Sesame Seeds – 2 tblsp, roasted
Green Chillies – 3
Green Chilli Paste – 1 tblsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Coriander – 1/4 cup, chopped
Black Salt Powder – to taste
Oil – for frying
1. Mash together boiled potatoes, cornmeal, 1/2 tsp salt and chilli paste. Knead and make a smooth dough.
2. Chop green chillies and ginger very finely.
3. Powder roasted gram and sesame seeds coarsely.
4. Heat 1/2 tsp oil and add the ajwain to it and let it crackle. Switch off the heat and add asafoetida.
5. Mix together paneer, black salt, garam masala, chopped ginger, green chilli, roasted gram and coriander. Pour over it crackled ajwain and asafoetida. Mix well.
6. Divide the potato-cornmeal dough into equal portions. Take one ball and flatten it on your hand or on a chopping board, place 2 tsp of stuffing in it and seal it. Slightly press to flatten it. Do the same for the rest.
7. Heat oil and fry 1-2 kachoris only a time on medium flame till golden brown in colour.
8. Lift from the oil with a slotted spoon and place them on kitchen paper.
9. Serve kachoris hot with green chutney or tamarind sauce.