Bitter Gourd – 1/4 kg
Onions – 3 tblsp, finely chopped
Salt as required
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Jaggery – 1 or 2 tblsp, grated
Tamarind – small lemon sized
Sambar Powder or Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Dhania Powder – 1 tsp
Sesame Seeds – 1 tblsp, powdered (dry roast and then powder)
Oil for frying
1. Chop the bitter gourd into small pieces after removing the inner seeds.
2. Smear salt over this and keep aside for 1 hour.
3. Squeeze well and remove excess water.
4. Cook in water to which salt, turmeric, tamarind is added, till soft.
5. Drain water completely.
6. Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and then onion.
7. Fry till transparent. Add dhania powder, chilli powder in the oil itself.
8. Fry for a minute and then add cooked bitter gourd.
9. Fry well till bitter gourd changes its colour.
10. Add salt, jaggery and just before removing from fire, sprinkle sesame powder.