Square Spring Roll Wrappers – 1 packet (25cm/10in), thawed if frozen
Plain Flour – 2 tbsp, mixed to a paste with water
Vegetable Oil – for deep frying
Coriander Leaves – to garnish
For the Filling
Ghee or Unsalted Butter – 2 tbsp
Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
Fresh Root Ginger – 1/2 inch piece, chopped
Garlic – 1 clove, crushed
Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Potato – 1 large, cooked and finely diced
Cauliflower Florets – 1/2 cup, lightly cooked and chopped into small pieces
Frozen Peas – 1/2 cup, thawed
Garam Masala – 1 to 2 tsp
Fresh Coriander – 1 tbsp, chopped
Salt – as per taste
1. Heat the ghee or butter in a wok and fry the onion, ginger and garlic for 5 minutes until softened. Add the chilli powder, cook for 1 minute, then stir in the potato, cauliflower and peas.
2. Sprinkle with garam masala and set aside to cool. Stir in the coriander, lemon juice and salt.
3. Cut the spring roll wrappers into three strips. Brush the edges with flour paste. Place a small spoonful of filling about 2cm in from the edge of one strip. Fold one corner over the filling to make a triangle and continue to folding until the entire strip has been used and a triangular pastry has been formed. Seal any open edges with more flour and water paste, adding more water if the paste is very thick.
4. Heat the oil for deeping to 190C and fry the samosa until golden and crisp.
5. Drain well on kitchen paper and serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and accompanied by cucumber, carrot and celery matchsticks, if you like.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !