The dish can be cooked in a number of ways – shallow frying the paneer to make it crispier or boiling it to make it soft.
Paneer Lababdar Recipe
Ingredients for Paneer Lababdar
- 250 g Paneer cubed
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 3 tsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tsp Dried Fenugreek Leaves crumbled
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp Butter
- handful Coriander Leaves
- 125 ml Cream
- as per taste Salt
For the Tomato Gravy:
- 500 g Tomatoes chopped
- 150 ml Water
- 1/2 inch Ginger peeled, chopped
- 10 to 15 Unsalted Cashew Nuts
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 2 to 3 Garlic Cloves peeled
- 1 Green Chilli chopped
- 2 Cloves
How to make Paneer Lababdar
- Add the tomatoes to a pan over medium flame.
- Add all the ingredients for gravy and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the cashew nuts are soft.
- Transfer this to a blender / mixer jar and process until smooth.
- Keep aside until required.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the bay leaf, onions, salt and fry until the onions turn light brown.
- Add the red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and stir well for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Add the reserved tomato gravy, tomato puree, small pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the flame and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the fenugreek leaves, sugar, garam masala powder and mix well.
- Add the cubed paneer, cream and coriander leaves.
- Simmer for a few minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and grated paneer.
- Serve as a side dish with rice or roti.