Chaman Kaliya is a traditional Kashmiri dish made with paneer and spices. An aromatic dish, it is often served with roti or Kashmiri pulao.
Chaman Kaliya Recipe
Ingredients for Chaman Kaliya
- 200g Paneer cubed
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3 Green Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Fennel Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Powder
- as per taste Salt
- 250 ml Milk
- a pinch Sugar
- a pinch Saffron Strands
- to garnish Coriander Leaves
- as required Oil
For the Onion Paste:
- 2 Medium Onions
- 3 Garlic Cloves peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 inch Ginger peeled and finely chopped
How to make Chaman Kaliya
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium flame.
- Pan-fry the paneer pieces until it is lightly browned all over.
- Remove and keep aside.
- To make the onion paste, grind together the onions, garlic, ginger and water to a smooth paste.
- Keep aside until required.
- Heat butter with 2 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan over medium flame.
- Add the cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, cumin seeds and cinnamon.
- Stir until the seeds start to crackle and brown.
- Add the ground onion paste and stir well for a minute.
- Add the Kashmiri red chilli powder, coriander powder, fennel powder, black pepper powder, turmeric powder and fenugreek powder.
- Mix well and stir for 5 minutes.
- Reduce flame and add the milk, sugar and saffron strands.
- Add the fenugreek powder and mix.
- Now add the paneer and stir gently.
- Add salt as required and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve as a side dish with roti, naan or rice.