1 kg Mutton
1 1/2 inch piece of Ginger
1 pod Garlic
1 tsp Peppercorns
3 small sticks of Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Poppy seeds
a small piece of raw Papaya
a few Coriander leaves
Ghee for frying
Salt to taste
1. Chop mutton into steak size pieces.
2. Roast poppy seeds and almonds, and grind to paste.
3. Grind ginger and garlic into a smooth paste.
4. Grind cardamom, peppercorns, papaya and coriander leaves with salt.
5. Wash meat and beat on a grinding stone. Mix ground masala with poppy seed and almond paste, cumin seeds and cinnamon sticks. Marinate the meat pieces in this mixture for an hour.
6. Heat ghee in a frying pan, add the meat pieces and fry for a few minutes. Add 2 cups of water and cook on slow heat till meat is tender.
7. Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves and lemon slices.