A delicious, simple and easy to make Kara Kuzhambu using ripe mangoes. Popular during summer season and in parts of Tamil Nadu, this is best served with hot rice.
Mango – 1, ripe, diced
Tamarind Extract – 2 cups
Shallots (Sambar Onions) – 1/2 cup, peeled, chopped
Green Chillies – 10 to 12, chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Tomatoes – 4
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt as per taste
Curry Leaves – few
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1/4 cup
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Rice – 1 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 1 tsp
1. Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan.
2. Fry the ingredients given for grinding.
3. Remove and grind well.
4. Keep aside.
5. Coarsely grind the tomatoes.
6. Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and mix well.
7. Add this to the tamarind extract.
8. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
9. Fry the mustard seeds, curry leaves and fenugreek seeds for a minute.
10. Add the onions, green chillies and saute until onions turn golden.
11. Add the tamarind extract and bring to a boil.
12. Add the mango pieces.
13. Add salt and stir gently.
14. When it starts to bubble, add the ground powder.
15. Stir again.
16. Switch off the flame.
17. Serve hot with rice.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !