A crispy, delicious and tasty vadai made with Thinai Arisi (Foxtail Millet). A variation from the usual masala vadai, this is equally tasty and easy to make. Thinai is rich in fiber, calcium, iron, potassium and carbohydrates. It is also good for those with diabetes.
Thinai Arisi – 200 gms
Toor Dal – 200 gms
Sambar Onions – 100 gms, peeled
Dry Red Chillies – 1 to 2
Garlic – 1 small clove, peeled
Turmeric Powder – 1/3 tsp
Coriander Leaves – handful
Curry Leaves – handful
Gingelly Oil as required
Salt as per taste
1. Combine the thinai and toor dal.
2. Soak them for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Add dry red chillies, salt and turmeric powder.
4. Grind coarsely and keep aside.
5. Grind the sambar onions and garlic, together, coarsely.
6. Add this to the thinai-dal mixture and mix well.
7. Add curry leaves and coriander leaves.
8. Add enough water and mix well to a thick mixture. Do not add too much water.
9. Pinch small balls and make them into small/medium vadais.
10. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium flame.
11. Deep fry the prepared vadais until golden brown.
12. Serve with chutney of choice.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !