1/2 cup fine Rice
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 cup Water
3/4 – 1 cup Sugar (to taste)
2 tbsp Ghee
a large pinch of Kesar (1/4 tsp Saffron)
6 – 8 Cashew Nuts
6 – 8 Almonds
4 Cardamoms (powdered)
1. Wash rice, leave on a cloth to dry. Soak and crush kesar in 1/4 cup hot milk, set aside.
2. Break cashew nuts into small pieces, blanch and cut almonds into slivers.
3. Heat ghee, fry the nuts, remove, set aside. To the same ghee, add rice and fry lightly on low heat for 1 – 2 min. Now add water, milk and saffron along with the milk it was soaked in and allow rice to cook on low heat, stirring now and then.
4. When the rice has become soft and the milk and water almost absorbed, add sugar. Stir and continue to cook till sugar gets dissolved and then gets absorbed. If too dry, sprinkle some water.
5. When all the moisture has been absorbed and the rice is done, mix in powdered cardamoms and half of the nuts.
6. Transfer rice onto a bwol and garnish with rest of the nuts.