3/4 cup Chana dal
3-4 Green chillies, finely chopped
1 dried Red chilli
1/2 inch piece Ginger, grated
1/2 tsp Asafoetida powder
1 tsp Salt
3 tbsp Rice flour
2 medium sized Onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp finely chopped Coriander leaves
3/4 cup cashew nuts, chopped
Oil for deep frying
1. Wash dal and soak in 2 cups water for 30 minutes.
2. Drain dal and grind to a thick, coarse batter with green chillies, red chilli, ginger and asafoetida powder, gradually adding 5-6 tbsp water.
3. Just before frying the vadai, mix in salt, rice flour, onions, coriander leaves and cashew nuts.
4. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
5. Wet your hands, take a ladle of batter and flatten it into a 2 inch round patty. Slip gently into hot oil.
6. Fry vadai in batches over moderate heat, turning frequently, till golden brown and crisp.
7. Drain and place on kitchen paper to absord excess oil
Serve hot with chutney.