Pista Sandesh is a popular and traditional Bengali sweet often made during festivals or special occasions. Made with paneer and sugar, it is light, creamy and delicious.
Milk – 1 1/2 litres
Sugar – 1 cup
Pistachios – 25 to 30
Citric Acid – 1/2 tsp
Silver Vark – to garnish (optional)
1. Boil the milk in a pan over medium flame.
2. Remove from flame and add citric acid.
3. Allow it to curdle.
4. Pass it through a muslin cloth (or any thin, clean white cloth) and hang it out, so that any excess moisture drips out.
5. Squeeze out any excess water and transfer the chenna (paneer) to a mixer.
6. Grind this until smooth without adding water.
7. Add sugar and mix well.
8. Transfer to a pan over low flame.
9. Keep stirring, ensuring the paneer does not change colour.
10. When the paneer mixture stops sticking to the pan and has a cream consistency, remove from flame.
11. Powder half of the pistachios and add to the mixture.
12. Mix well and shape them into small balls or squares.
13. Garnish each of the sandesh with a whole pistachio.
Tip: If desired, you can also garnish with a silver foil.