Pista Sandesh is a traditional Bengali sweet. Made with paneer, it is light, delicious and creamy. India is famous for its festivals and this sweet is synonymous with all major festive occasions. It is also a regular in most lavish Indian weddings and is often given as a gift too.
Pista Sandesh Recipe
Ingredients for Pista Sandesh
- 1 1/2 litre Milk - 1 1/2 litres
- 1 cup Sugar - 1 cup
- 25 to 30 Pistachios - 25 to 30
- 1/2 tsp Citric Acid - 1/2 tsp
- to garnish Silver Vark (Silver Foil) optional
How to make Pista Sandesh
- Boil the milk in a pan over medium flame.
- Remove from flame and add citric acid.
- Allow it to curdle.
- Pass it through a muslin cloth (or any thin, clean white cloth) and hang it out, so that any excess moisture drips out.
- Squeeze out any excess water and transfer the paneer to a mixer.
- Grind this until smooth without adding water.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Transfer to a pan over low flame.
- Keep stirring, ensuring the paneer does not change colour.
- When the paneer mixture stops sticking to the pan and has a cream consistency, remove from flame.
- Powder half of the pistachios and add to the mixture.
- Mix well and shape them into small balls or squares.
- Garnish each of the sandesh with a whole pistachio.
- Garnish with silver foil.
- Serve or store it in an airtight container.