3 onions, finely chopped
1/2 coconut, grated
2 tbsp ginger-garlic-red chilli paste
4 cinnamon pieces
a few coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 cup vinegar
juice of 1 lemon
oil for frying
salt to taste
1. Clean the mackerels, remove the heads and slit the sides.
2. Marinate them in salt and lemon juice.
3. Lightly fry the coconut along with cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon and coriander seeds till light brown.
4. Add this to ginger-garlic-red chilli paste and grind to a smooth paste.
5. Heat a little oil in a frying pan. Add the onions and saute till translucent. Add the vinegar, red chilli powder, salt and mix well.
6. Fil mackerels with this stuffing on both sides and spread it on the outside too. Tie a string around the fish.
7. Barbecue or shallow fry.