A popular rasam variety in Kumbakonam, Thanjavur, Kancheepuram and surrounding districts of TamilNadu.
Murungai Keerai (Drumstick Leaves) – 2 handfuls
Tomatoes – 2, ground to a puree
Toor Dal – 2 tblsp
Tamarind Extract – 1 cup
Rasam Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Coriander Leaves – few
Oil as required
Salt as per taste
1. Boil the keerai and drain well.
2. Separately boil the dal with turmeric powder and keep aside.
3. Heat tamarind extract in a pan over medium flame.
4. Add the tomato puree and after 2 minutes add rasam powder, cumin powder, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
5. Stir well.
6. Fry the mustard seeds in little oil and add to the rasam.
7. Bring to a boil.
8. Add dal and keerai.
9. Simmer for a few minutes. Add some water if desired.
10. Serve hot.