Karachi Halwa (or Corn Flour Halwa) is a popular, delicious and traditional Diwali sweet. Also served as a dessert during special occasions or parties.
Corn Flour – 2 cups
Sugar – 5 to 6 cups
Water – 2 litres
Edible Food Colour – 1/2 tsp
Cashew Nuts (or Almonds) – 1 tblsp, broken, fried in little ghee
Ghee – 2 tblsp
1. Add 2 cups (500 ml) of water to the corn flour and mix well.
2. Add the food colour and mix without any lumps.
3. Heat the remaining water in a pan over medium flame.
4. Add sugar and stir until fully dissolved.
5. Bring to a boil.
6. Add the corn flour mixture and stir well continuously.
7. When it starts to stick to the pan, add ghee and stir again.
8. When it has reached a halwa consistency and leaves the sides of the vessel, transfer to a greased tray.
9. Sprinkle the fried cashew nuts and allow it to set.
10. Just before it sets completely, cut it into desired pieces.