Chickpeas – 1 cup, washed, soaked overnight
Onions – 125 gms, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 125 gms, chopped
Oil – 5 tsp
Cinnamon – 1 one inch stick
Bay Leaf – 1/2
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – a small pinch
Salt as per taste
Red Chilli Powder – a small pinch
1. Pressure cook the chickpeas with enough water. till whistles along with 1 tsp oil, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and salt.
2. Transfer to a pan and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes on low flame.
3. Heat 4 tsp of oil in another pan.
4. Fry the onions till golden.
5. Add tomatoes and cook till soft.
6. Add coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and cook for a minute or two.
7. Add the chickpeas with the water and bring to a boil.
8. Cook till the gravy is thick.
9. Remove and serve hot.
This recipe yielded perfect results. I’m truly thrilled. I have only one comment: When boiling the chana in pressure cooker, lower heat after the first whistle and then let cook for 35 minutes. In general, when cooking anything in pressure cooker one should switch to timed cook at low heat after first whistle because once steam is built up within cooker, low heat is sufficient to maintain pressure. Multiple whistles, simply result in unnecessary loss of heat, pressure and water.
i’ve tried this one and turned out just great. Thanx a ton !!!