This classic Prawn Cocktail Salad is an ideal appetizer/starter to any meal. Simple and easy to make, this can also be served as a light dinner option or as an evening snack.
- Prawns – 32, large, shelled and deveined
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Lemon – 1/2, sliced
- Tomato Ketchup – 175 gms
- Horseradish – 1 1/2 tblsp, grated
- Celery Sticks – 3, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Lemon Rind – 1 tblsp, grated
- Salt and Pepper
- Iceberg Lettuce Leaves – shredded, to serve
- Lemon Wedges to garnish
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil.
- Stir in the salt and lemon slices, then reduce the heat to low.
- Add the prawns and leave to simmer for about 3 minutes until they are cooked through, turn pink and curl.
- Drain the prawns and immediately refresh under cold running water to cool the prawns. Set aside.
- Put the ketchup, horseradish, celery and lemon rind in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Stir in the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the prawns, then cover and chill for 2 to 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, stir the prawn salad and adjust the seasoning.
- Divide the shredded lettuce between salad bowls and spoon the salad on top.
- Serve at once while the salad is still chilled with lemon wedges for squeezing over.