Lamb – 1 kg, cut into medium-sized pieces
Green Cardamoms – 4
Cloves – 6
Cinnamon – 1 one inch stick
Asafoetida – 2 pinches
Yoghurt – 1/4 cup
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Onions – 2, thinly sliced
Ginger – 2 tsp, scraped, dried
Mustard Oil – 1 cup
Clarified Butter – 1/2 cup
Green Garlic with Stems / Garlic – 1/2 cup, chopped
Coriander Seeds – 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tbsp
Garam Masala – 2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tsp
1. Wash the lamb and drain well.
2. Mix together the whole spices, half the asafoetida, yoghurt, turmeric powder, salt, half the onions, ginger, mustard oil and a little water.
3. Add lamb and cook in a heavy bottomed pan till it is almost done.
4. Dry any remaining liquid, remove from the flame and put aside.
5. In a flat pan, heat the clarified butter.
6. Add the remaining onions and fry till golden brown.
7. Drain the excess oil and keep aside.
8. To the same pan, add the semi-cooked lamb and fry.
9. Stir occasionally and cook till it is fully done and turns dark brown in colour.
10. Add the green garlic.
11. Fry until it gets soft and changes colour.
12. Add the powdered ingredients, chilli powder and garam masala.
13. Fry for 5 more minutes, check the seasoning and serve hot.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !