Masala Uttapam is a South Indian breakfast delicacy many love for its fluffy texture and rich flavours. This savoury pancake is made with a fermented batter of rice and urad dal. It is topped with a delicious mix of onions, tomatoes, and spices. The uttapam is then cooked on a griddle until crispy and golden brown. Masala Uttapam is perfect for a lazy weekend breakfast or a satisfying snack.
- 3/4 cup Raw Rice
- 3/4 cup Urad Dal
- as per taste Salt
For the Topping:
- 50 ml Oil - 50 ml
- 1 Onion large and finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes large and finely chopped
- 4 Green Chillies finely chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tbsp Green Coriander finely chopped
- Prepare the batter by grinding together rice, urad dal, little water and salt.
- Keep aside.
- Heat a little oil in a pan.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, green chillies, cumin seeds, green coriander and salt to taste.
- Mix thoroughly and cook for a few minutes.
- Keep the filling aside.
- Heat a non stick pan.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter and spread it evenly.
- Cook over a medium heat.
- Spread the filling on the batter, sprinkle a little oil around the sides and cook until it is brown on the underside.
- Turn and cook the other side as well.
- Serve hot with coconut and tomato chutney.