Black Gram – 2/3 cup, soaked for 1 ½ hours
Refined Flour (Maida) – 2 cups
Semolina – 1 cup
Asafoetida – a pinch
Onion seeds – 1/2 pinch
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil – 1 1/2 tbsp
1. Drain the black gram and grind to a smooth paste.
2. Mix the black gram paste with the remaining ingredients.
3. Add a little water and knead to make soft dough.
4. Keep aside for 1 hour.
5. Before frying, knead the dough again with well-greased palms and on a well-greased table top.
6. Divide the dough into lemon-sized balls. Roll each ball out carefully into a 5” diameter disc.
7. Heat the oil in a kadai.
8. Fry the discs, one by one, turning them over frequently, on high heat till golden.
9. They will be slightly white on the edges.
10. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain the excess oil on paper towels.
11. Serve hot.