Dried Red Kidney Beans – 1 cup
Oil – 2 tblsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Onion – 1, thinly sliced
Fresh Green Chilli – 1, finely chopped
Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
Fresh Root Ginger – 1 inch piece, grated
Curry Paste – 2 tblsp
Ground Cumin – 1 tsp
Ground Coriander – 1 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Tomatoes – 400 gms, chopped
Fresh Coriander – 2 tblsp
1. Leave the kidney beans to soak overnight in a bowl of cold water.
2. Drain the beans and put in a large pan with double the volume of water. Boil vigorously for 10 minutes. Skim off any scum.
3. Cover and cook for 1- 1 1/2 hours or until the beans are soft. Alternatively, cook the beans in a pressure cooker for 20-25 minutes.
4. Heat the oil in a large, heavy frying pan and fry the cumin seeds for 2 minutes until they begin to splutter.
5. Add the onion, chilli, garlic and ginger and fry for 5 minutes. Stir in the curry paste, cumin, ground coriander, chilli powder and salt and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain the beans and stir them in with the fresh coriander, reserving a little of the herb for the garnish. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, adding a little water if necessary.
7. Serve garnished with the reserved fresh coriander.