Spinach – 450 gms
Oil – 1 tblsp
Black Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Onion – 1, thinly sliced
Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
Fresh Root Ginger – 1 inch piece, finely chopped
Potatoes – 675 gms, cut into 1 inch chunks
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Water – 1/2 cup
1. Wash and trim the spinach, then blanch it in a pan of boiling water for 3-4 minutes.
2. Drain the spinach thoroughly and set aside. When it is cool enough to handle, squeeze out any remaining liquid and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan and fry the mustard seeds for 2 minutes or until they splutter.
4.Add the sliced onion, garlic cloves and chopped ginger to the mustard seeds and fry for 5 minutes, stirring all the while.
5. Add the potato chunks, chilli powder, salt and water and cook for a further 8 minutes.
6. Add the drained spinach. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
7. Serve hot.