Kaffir Lime Leaves – 2
Vegetable Oil – 2 tblsp
Shallots – 4, chopped
Cashew Nuts – 1 cup
Thai Red Curry Paste – 1 tsp
Potatoes – 400 gms, peeled and cut into chunks
Lemon Grass Stalk – 1, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 200 gms, chopped
Boiling Water – 2 1/2 cups
Whole Kernel Corn – 1 cup
Celery Sticks – 4, sliced
Tomato Ketchup – 1 tblsp
Light Soy Sauce – 1 tblsp
Palm Sugar – 1 tsp
Combination of 2 parts Soy Sauce and 1 part Lime Juice (or use Thai Fish Sauce)- 1 tsp
Spring Onions – 4, thinly sliced
Fresh Basil – small bunch, chopped
1. Remove the central rib from the kaffir lime leaves. Roll the leaves into tight cylinders and using a sharp knife, slice through the cylinders to give thin strips.
2. Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan. Add the shallots and stir-fry over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add the cashew nuts and stir-fry for a few minutes until golden.
3. Stir in the red curry paste. Stir-fry for 1 minute then add the potatoes, lemon grass, tomatoes and boiling water.
4. Bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
5. Stir the corn, celery, lime leaves, tomato ketchup, soy sauce, sugar and soy sauce-lime juice combination into the pan. Simmer for a further 5 minutes until heated through, then spoon into warmed serving bowls. Sprinkle with the sliced spring onions and chopped basil and serve.