Making ice-cream at home is a fun process as the end result is always delicious and fresh. Moreover, you can add your own touch by exploring various methods and by adding different ingredients. However, getting a perfect texture and firmness to the ice cream can be the trickiest part.
These are the techniques and tips through which you can revamp your ice-cream making method:
- Do not use hot milk to mix the ingredients. Add the flavoring agents (alcohol) and extracts like vanilla, almond, etc. only after cooling the ice cream batter at room temperature.
- Refrain from using wet hands and spoons while making an ice-cream as the moisture will spoil the texture and taste of the mixture.
- Freezing uncovered ice cream mixture can lead to the formation of ice crystals. Therefore, do not forget to seal the container with a wax or plastic wrap before closing the lid.
- Homemade ice-creams tend to lose texture and flavor quickly since no artificial colors and preservatives are added in them. Therefore, it is better to finish it within a week
- Square or rectangular shaped shallow containers are the best to store the ice cream since they ensure that the consistency is even.
- Keep the temperature of your refrigerator at its highest level at least one hour prior to keeping the ice cream container in the freezer.
- Do not add chocolate chips, nuts, and other ingredients initially. Let the ice-cream set first and keep adding the mix-ins while you churn it for even consistency.
- Do not add an excessive quantity of alcohol and other flavoring agents. Adding more than 1/4th cup of flavoring for a mixture of 1 quart can affect its freezing capacity negatively.
- Do not add all the hot cream into the egg yolks at once while making the ice creams which are custard based. Go slowly and whisk the mixture properly before using.
- When something is to be added in teaspoons or tablespoons, do not forget to use leveled proportions each time so that the recipe remains balanced.