Pongal is a traditional and popular South Indian breakfast dish. The regular pongal is made with white rice and dal. This variation is made using brown rice and dal. A healthy and a filling dish to kickstart your busy day.
- Brown Rice – 1 cup
- Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
- Pepper – 1 tblsp
- Jeera – 1 tblsp
- Ginger – small piece, chopped
- Cashews – few
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Curry Leaves – few
- Ghee – 100 ml
- Wash and soak the brown rice and moong dal for half an hour.
- Peel the ginger skin and finely chop them.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add the soaked rice, dal, salt and asafoetida powder.
- Add the required water and cook until soft and mushy.
- To a pan, heat ghee in a medium flame.
- Add the pepper, jeera, ginger, curry leaves and cashew nuts.
- Fry till the cashews turn golden brown.
- Transfer it to the pongal mixture.
- Add ghee and mix gently.
- Serve hot.