Idiyappam is a very popular breakfast dish across South India. Very simple and easy to make, it is best served with kurma or stew of choice.
Thinai (Foxtail Millet) Flour – 1 1/2 cups
Rice (Idiyappam) Flour – 1/2 cup
Gingelly Oil – 2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Water – 1 to 1 1/2 cups (adjust as required)
1. Dry roast the thinai flour over medium flame for a minute or two.
2. Remove and cool.
3. Add the rice flour, salt and mix well.
4. Heat 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water over medium flame. Add a few drops of oil.
5. When it starts to boil, switch off the flame and remove.
6. Gradually add the water to the flour mixture and mix well until it has a chapati dough consistency.
7. Make small-medium balls and place them in a idiyappam maker.
8. Make medium sized idiyappams and steam cook them on idli plates.
9. Serve with kurma or side dish of choice.
sign me up please