Chironji ka Dalcha (Chironji Lamb Meat Curry) is a popular Hyderabadi dish. Originally made with dal, it was believed that cooking with dal would cause body pain and hence chironji was used as a substitute. This is what gives the dish its rich taste.
Boneless Lamb Meat – 500 gms, cut into cubes
Chironji Seeds – 100 gms, soaked overnight and dehusked
Onions – 2, cut into thin slices
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tblsp
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 cup
Beaten Curd – 1 cup
Coriander Leaves – big handful
Salt as per taste
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and fry onions till golden brown.
2. Reduce the heat and add ginger garlic paste.
3. Gradually add small amounts of water.
4. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Add the cubed lamb meat pieces. Stir well.
5. Cook until the oil floats on top. Add the curd and fry till the raw smell disappears.
6. Add the chironji seeds along with 4 cups of water.
7. Cook until the meat is done.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves
9. Serve hot with rice or chapatis.
Note: If the gravy is too watery, cook it for some more time until it has a thicker consistency.
image via ndtv