Moong dal – 1 cup
Spinach – 250 gms, chopped
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
Tomato paste – 2 tbsp
Grated lemon rind – 1 tsp
Salt and pepper – as per taste
Water – 2 litres
1. Rinse thoroughly and fully dip the cleaned lentils in a big bowl of nearly 2 litres of water.
2. Heat the bowl of lentils upto its boiling point and cook in a simmer flame until they soften.
3. Fry the onions until it turns to golden colour and add the strained and chopped spinach and cook on low flame for a few minutes.
4. Add the fried onion and spinach to the previously boiled lentils and stir well.
5. Add salt, pepper and lemon rind. Little paprika can also be added if required. Simmer the whole mixture for 15 minutes and adjust spices if needed.
6. If it appears too thick, add some water and cook for some more time.