white kabuli channa (chickpeas) – 1/2 cup
violet brinjals – 1/4 kg
large onions – 2
garlic – 6 flakes
tomato paste – 1/2 cup
sambar powder – 1 1/2 cup
salt – as required
oil – 1 1/2 tblsp
chopped mint and coriander leaves – 1 1/2 tblsp
1. Soak channa over night. Pressure cook till it becomes soft.
2. Slice brinjals and onions lengthwise.
3. Peel and drop garlic into small pieces.
4. Heat oil in a frying pan and stir fry garlic followed by onions.
5. When it turns golden, add sliced brinjals.
6. Fry in medium flame, till brinjal becomes soft.
7. Add tomato puree, boiled channa, (strain water and put channa alone) salt and sambar powder.
8. Cook till dry and then add mint and coriander leaves.
9. Mix well and serve as a dry curry with rice or chappathi.
1. Boiled potatoes can be added too. Cut them lengthwise.
2. Garam masala powder or masala spices can also be added.