Dal Makhani is a rich creamy dal in a butter gravy. Originated in Punjab, the dish is very popular all over North India. No special occasion is complete without this dish. Made using black urad dal, rajma and spices, this delicious side dish is served with roti, naan, pulao or jeera rice.
In many places, it is also served as a warm soup during winter months.
Dal Makhani Recipe
Ingredients for Dal Makhani
- 1 cup Whole Black Urad Dal
- 1/4 cup Rajma soaked overnight
- 2 to 3 Green Chillies finely chopped
- 1 Tomato finely chopped
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 sprig Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1 to 2 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1 to 2 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- as per taste Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dhania Powder (Coriander Powder)
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 cup Curd
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cream
- 2 tblsp Butter
- Oil for frying
- as per taste Salt
How to make Dal Makhani
- Cook rajma and urad dal with water and a bit of salt in a pressure cooker for 20 to 25 minutes.
- When soft, squash and boil the rajma and urad dal for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in fresh cream and curd to the dal.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan and heat some oil in it.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start to splutter, add garlic paste.
- Fry until light brown.
- Now put onions and saute.
- To this add tomatoes, green chillies and ginger paste.
- Fry till the tomatoes become soft.
- Now add dhania powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Fry for 1 minute.
- Pour in the dal and cook on medium flame.
- When the dal starts boiling remove from heat.
- Add garam masala powder and butter.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice, chapathi.