Dal Makhani is a very popular North Indian (Punjabi) side dish made with whole urad dal and rajma. Rich, creamy and delicious, it is served with roti, naan or chapati.
Whole Urad Dal – 1 cup
Rajma – 1/4 cup, soaked overnight
Green Chillies – 2 to 3, finely chopped
Tomato – 1, finely chopped
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Coriander Leaves – 1 sprig, chopped
Garlic Paste – 1 to 2 tsp
Ginger Paste – 1 to 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – as per taste
Dhania Powder (Coriander Powder) – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
Curd – 1/2 cup
Fresh Cream – 1/2 cup
Butter – 2 tblsp
Oil for frying
Salt as per taste
1. Cook rajma and urad dal with water and a bit of salt in a pressure cooker for 20 to 25 minutes.
2. When soft, squash and boil the rajma and urad dal for another 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Stir in fresh cream and curd to the dal.
4. Take a heavy bottomed pan and heat some oil in it.
5. Add cumin seeds.
6. When the seeds start to splutter, add garlic paste.
7. Fry until light brown.
8. Now put onions and saute.
9. To this add tomatoes, green chillies and ginger paste.
10. Fry till the tomatoes become soft.
11. Now add dhania powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
12. Fry for 1 minute.
13. Pour in the dal and cook on medium flame.
14. When the dal starts boiling remove from heat.
15. Add garam masala powder and butter.
16. Garnish with coriander leaves.
17. Serve with rice, chapathi.