Shrimp Pad Thai is a traditional dish from Thai cuisine. It is a stir-fried noodle dish popular in fast food restaurants for it’s ease of making.
A weeknight dinner dish, it is also a great dish to make for a relaxed weekend lunch.
It is very easy to make and is bound to be a hit with friends and family.
Shrimp Pad Thai Recipe
Ingredients for Shrimp Pad Thai
- 200 g Shrimps peeled, deveined
- 1/3 cup Tamarind Extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1/3 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 2 tbsp Peanut Oil
- 4 to 5 tsp Sugar
- 125 g Dry Rice Noodles
- 1 Egg beaten
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Shallot (Sambar Onion) minced
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Peanuts extra for garnish
- 2 to 3 Spring Onions finely sliced + extra for garnish
- Coriander Leaves – handful chopped
- 1 cup Bean Sprouts – 1 cup optional
- few Lime Wedges – few
How to make Shrimp Pad Thai
- Combine the tamarind extract, fish sauce, vinegar, red chilli flakes and 1 tblsp peanut oil in a bowl.
- Add sugar and stir well. Keep aside.
- Soak the noodles in a bowl of hot water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Heat 1/2 tblsp oil in a pan.
- Add the shrimps and cook until they start to brown at the edges and are opaque, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan.
- Add the garlic, shallots and stirfry for a minute.
- Add the beaten eggs and stir until lightly scrambled (about 10 to 15 seconds).
- Add the noodles and toss well.
- Pour the tamarind sauce mixture and cook until the noodles are evenly coated.
- Add the cooked shrimps, peanuts, bean sprouts (if using) and spring onions.
- Stir well and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Garnish with spring onions, coriander leaves and peanuts.
- Serve with lime wedges.