Shrimp Pad Thai is a classic Thai dish that is delicious and easy to make. Ideal for lunch or dinner, it is also perfect for any special occasion.
Shrimps – 200 to 225 gms, peeled, deveined
Tamarind Extract – 1/3 cup
Fish Sauce – 1 1/2 tblsp
Rice Vinegar – 2 tsp
Red Chilli Flakes – 1/3 tsp
Peanut Oil – 2 tblsp
Sugar – 4 to 5 tsp
Dry Rice Noodles – 125 gms
Egg – 1, beaten
Garlic – 2 cloves, minced
Shallot (Sambar Onion) – 1, minced
Peanuts – 3 tblsp, unsalted + extra for garnish
Spring Onions – 2 to 3, finely sliced + extra for garnish
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Bean Sprouts – 1 cup (if available and optional)
Lime Wedges – few
1. Combine the tamarind extract, fish sauce, vinegar, red chilli flakes and 1 tblsp peanut oil in a bowl.
2. Add sugar and stir well. Keep aside.
3. Soak the noodles in a bowl of hot water for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Drain and keep aside.
5. Heat 1/2 tblsp oil in a pan.
6. Add the shrimps and cook until they start to brown at the edges and are opaque, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
7. Remove and keep aside.
8. Add the remaining oil to the pan.
9. Add the garlic, sambar onions and stirfry for a minute.
10. Add the beaten eggs and stir until lightly scrambled (about 10 to 15 seconds).
11. Add the noodles and toss well.
12. Pour the tamarind sauce mixture and cook until the noodles are evenly coated.
13. Add the cooked shrimps, peanuts, bean sprouts (if using) and spring onions.
14. Stir well and cook for 2 more minutes.
15. Transfer to a serving plate.
16. Garnish with spring onions, coriander leaves and peanuts.
17. Serve with lime wedges.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !