Potato Podimas is a popular and easy to make South Indian side dish made with mashed potatoes cooked in spices. Best served with sambar or rasam with rice, they also make a great side dish to chapati.
Potatoes – 6 to 8
Onions – 2, finely chopped
Garlic – 3 to 4 cloves, crushed
Curry Leaves – few
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Oil – 1/2 tblsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves – few, finely chopped
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Saunf – 1/2 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 2 tsp
Urad Dal – 2 tsp
Lemon Juice – 3 to 4 tsp (optional)
1. Boil, peel and cut the potatoes in cubes.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
3. Fry the mustard seeds, saunf and dals for 30 seconds.
4. Add the onions, curry leaves and garlic.
5. Saute until onions turn golden.
6. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
7. Stir well and add the potatoes.
8. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the masala sticks to the potatoes. Add lemon juice if using and mix well.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves.