A popular and delicious whole roasted chicken marinated in Indian spices and cooked in an oven.
Chicken – 1, whole, about 750 gms
Onion – 1 to 2 tblsp, chopped
Garlic – 1 to 2 cloves, chopped
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tblsp
Coriander Seeds – 1/3 tblsp
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch stick
Cloves – 2 to 3
Black Peppercorns – 1/2 tsp
Almonds – 2 tblsp, ground to a paste
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Plain Yogurt – 2 tblsp
Salt as per taste
1. Dry roast the cumin seeds and coriander seeds in medium flame for a minute or two.
2. Remove and transfer to a mixer jar.
3. Add the cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns and grind them to a fine powder.
4. Transfer to a large bowl.
5. Add the almond paste, turmeric powder, yogurt and salt.
6. Grind the garlic and onion coarsely.
7. Sprinkle a bit of salt and mix well.
8. Add this to the bowl and mix well.
9. Place the chicken in a large oven-proof dish lined with foil.
10. Make a small slit on both sides of the chicken.
11. Rub the masala between the skin and flesh and all over the chicken.
12. Cover the chicken with foil and keep it in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours.
13. Remove the chicken from the fridge and place it in a preheated oven at 400F/200C for 60 minutes.
14. Remove the foil and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes or until it is browned on top.
15. If the juices run clear when pierced with a knife, the chicken is done.
16. Remove and serve.