Split Red Gram – 1/2 cup
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
For the Tempering:
Vegetable Oil – 2 tbsp
Green Chillies – 2
Salt – a pinch
Garlic Paste – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/4 tsp
1. Soak the split red gram in 2 to 3 cups water with salt and turmeric powder for at least 20 minutes.
2. Most of the water should be absorbed.
3. Transfer the split red gram into a pressure cooker.
4. Add water about half inch above the dal level.
5. Cook on high heat, after the first whistle, turn heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Keep aside to cool.
7. Whisk or blend, adding water, if required.
8. Return the cooker to heat and bring it to the oil.
9. For the tempering, heat the oil in a pan till smoking.
10. Saute all the ingredients till golden.
11. Remove from heat.
12. Pour into the dal and cover immediately to prevent the aroma from escaping.
13. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
14. Garnish with fried onions and a dollop of butter.