Lean Meat – 450 gms
Cloves – 5
Green Cardamoms- 5
Raw Papaya Paste- 1 1/2 tsp (Or kachri- 1 tsp)
Garlic- 10 cloves, chopped
Onions- 1/4 cup, chopped
Ginger- 2 inch piece, chopped
Cumin Seeds- 1 tsp
Coconut – 2 tbsp, desiccated
Nutmeg Powder- 1/4 tsp
Black Peppercorns- 16
Poppy Seeds- 1 tsp
Yoghurt- 3/4 cup
Red Chilli Powder- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Butter for basting
1. Cut meat into slices 3 1/2 inch long, 1 1/3 inch wide and 3/4 inch thick.
2. Cut the slice into half without cutting through, leaving a join at the end.
3. Open the cut halves to make a single strip, approximately 6 inches long.
4. Beat the joints with the back of a knife to flatten them a bit.
5. Blend all the ingredients together to a fine paste.
6. Coat the strips with this mixture and leave to marinate for 3 hours.
7. Weave the skewer in and out of the meal strips at 4 points, at regular intervals.
8. The meat will resemble a wavy line, with the skewer running through its centre.
9. Roast over an open charcoal fire or barbeque fo 10 minutes.
10. When one side is cooked, baste with butter and roast again for 3-5 minutes.
11. Serve as a salad with sliced onions, green chillies and finely chopped mint leaves.