A delicious and rich chocolatey treat perfect for Christmas or any special occasion.
Plain flour – 260 gms
Baking soda – 1 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Cooking chocolate – 115 gms, chopped
Brown sugar – 200 gms
Milk – 275 ml
Butter – 140 gms, at room temperature
Fine sugar – 260 gms
Eggs – 3
Egg yolk – 1
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
For the chocolate icing:
Cooking chocolate – 225 gms, chopped
Cream – 175 ml
Sour cream – 175 ml
Salt – 1/2 tsp
1. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.
2. Place the chocolate in a small pan, along with the brown sugar and one third of the milk and heat gently over a pot of simmering water, until the chocolate melts.
3. Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and cream together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beat in the egg yolk and mix in the vanilla. Fold the sifted flour into the butter mixture alternating with the remaining milk, ending with the flour. Add the melted chocolate and mix until just combined.
4. Divide the cake batter evenly into two cake tins that have been greased and lined with butter paper. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/350F for about 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
5. Cool the cakes in their tins for about 10 minutes then un-mould them on wire racks and allow them to cool completely.
6. Melt the chocolate in a small bowl set in a pan of simmering water. Remove the bowl from the stove and beat in the cream, sour cream and salt. Let it cool slightly.
7. Set one cake on a serving plate and cover it with half the chocolate icing. Place the second cake on it and spread the remaining icing on the top and sides. Make chocolate swirls for a decorative finish.
Preparation time: 40 minutes.
Baking time: 30 – 35 minutes.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !