Sattu Maavu | Multi Grain Health Mix Laddu is a sweet made from mixed grains that is high in protein and fibre.
Laadus are the simplest and go-to sweet for any occasion. No festival or happy occasion is complete without it. These days with excess of sweet and processed food in play, using Sattu Maavu is a great way to infuse healthy ingredients in our desserts. Sattu Maavu is a mix of all grains and cereals. The grains are usually unprocessed and hence high in nutrition. For centuries this mix and concoction have been a regular drink for building health in kids and adults alike. Commonly sattu maavu kanji is used as a healthier home made food for growing babies. It is a good source of protein and fibre and hence aids in keeping one full for longer.
Usually consumed as a health drink and a substitute for breakfast or other meal, we decided to experiment and make it more irresistible by adding nuts and jaggery for taste. One of the tips to keep in mind is to use Sattu maavu made from roasted grains. It helps releasing the aroma and flavours.
Sattu Maavu Laddu
Ingredients for Sattu Maavu Laddu
- 300 g Sattu Maavu flour preferably made from roasted grains
- 300 g Jaggery or Palm Sugar powdered
- 30 g Almonds Coarsely broken
- 30 g Cashews Coarsely broken
- 2-3 Cardamom optional
- 20 g Raisins
- 10 g Desiccated Coconut flakes
- 30 g Ghee
How to make Sattu Maavu Laddu
- Take a Kadhai and warm a small amount of Ghee in it.
- Add all the nuts, raisins and coconut mixture in the ghee and roast it on low flame for 30sec - 1 minute.
- Set this aside.
- Heat the remaining ghee and roast the flour until it releases and aroma - around 7-8 minutes.
- In the meantime, add some water in the jaggery and heat it until it dissolves.
- Filter the Jaggery water and bring it back to the stove and allow it to simmer until it thickens.
- Grind the cardamom seeds and powder it.
- Take the jaggery water, nuts mixture, cardamom powder and some additional ghee and add it to the Sattu Maavu.
- Stir well until it thickens to a dough like consistency.
- Take it aside and pinch balls to make laddus.
- You can grease your hands with a bit of ghee to aid in rolling.
- Refrigerate and store in an airtight container.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !