Vadam is a popular and traditional summer time papad variety made in South Indian especially in Tamil Nadu. Koozh Vadam is a simple and easy to make variation. Also called as Karu Vadam, Koozh Vathal, this is a summer time activity in most households especially early in the morning when they “lay” these out in the terrace before the heat of the sun becomes hot.
- Sago (Javvarisi) – 1/2 cup
- Rice – 2 cups
- Water – 4.5 litres
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Wash the sago and add 1 cup of hot water and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Wash and soak rice for 2 hours.
- Drain water from rice and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Add soaked sago and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Boil the water.
- When the water starts to boil, take out 1.5 litres of water separately.
- Add 2 tsp of salt.
- Lower the flame.
- Add the rice sago batter and stir well.
- Keep stirring till it becomes like a porridge consistency.
- Allow the koozh to boil.
- Add the reserved hot water in regular intervals till we get porridge consistency.
- Koozh Vadam batter is ready.
- It should be in porridge consistency.
- Place a clean white cloth in sunny place.
- Using a small ladle pour the batter in small circles.
- When the vadam gets completely dried up, take out each vadam.
- Store it in an air tight container.
Image via YouTube