An easy recipe to make szechuan sauce at home. Made with red chillies, this is a popular sauce used in Chinese food especially in noodles and rice dishes.
Tomato – 1, small, finely chopped
Spring Onion Leaves – 1/2 bunch, finely chopped
Dry Red Chillies – 10 to 12
Garlic – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Ginger – 3 tsp, graed
Gingelly Oil – 50 ml + 1 tblsp
Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Soy Sauce – 1 1/2 tsp
Lemon Juice – 1 1/2 tsp
1. Soak the red chillies in a pan of water for 30 to 60 minutes.
2. Drain well and grind to a fine paste with little water.
3. Heat 50 ml oil in a pan over medium flame.
4. Add the ginger and garlic.
5. Saute until the raw smell is gone.
6. Reduce flame to low and add the red chilli paste.
7. Simmer over medium flame for a minute.
8. Add the tomatoes and reduce flame to low.
9. Add 1 tblsp oil and if required little water.
10. Stir well.
11. When the tomatoes are cooked, add the spring onion leaves and increase flame to medium.
12. Add pepper powder, soy sauce and salt.
13. When the oil starts to separate switch off the flame.
14. Add lemon juice and stir.
15. Allow it to cool and store it in a clean, airtight container.
16. Stays good for up to 2 weeks.
17. Serve with noodles or fried rice.