Chow Chow or Chayote is a popular South Indian vegetable with numerous health benefits. It is rich in fiber, vitamin c, folate and low in calories.
Chow Chow (Chayote) – 2
Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
Sambar Onions (Shallots) – 15 to 18
Green Chillies – 4 to 5, slit
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
Oil (or Ghee) as required
1. Peel and finely chop the chow chows.
2. Pressure cook the dal until 2 whistles.
3. Heat a pan over medium flame.
4. Add the cooked dal and little water.
5. Add the onions, chow chows, green chillies and salt.
6. Stir to mix well and simmer until the chow chow is cooked.
7. Heat little oil in a small pan.
8. Fry the cumin seeds, urad dal and curry leaves for 30 seconds.
9. Pour over the dal.
10. Stir well and remove from flame.
11. Serve hot with rice or with rotis.
Tip: Adjust the water depending on how want the dal. If you want it thick, reduce the quantity.
image via youtube
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !