A different variety of Pongal for this harvest festival. Try this pongal made with Tender Coconut Water. Tender Coconut Water is a refreshing drink during summer months to beat the thirst. It is also rich in various nutrients that our body needs and is also a good substitute for coffee or tea.
Tender Coconut Water (Elaneer) – 1 cup
Raw Rice – 1 cup
Moong Dal – 2 tblsp
Coconut Milk – 1/2 cup
Coconut – 1 tblsp, chopped
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Ghee – 2 tblsp
Cashew Nuts – 3 tblsp
Edible Camphor (Pachai Karpooram) – a pinch
1. Dry roast the dal and combine with the rice.
2. Wash well and transfer to a pressure cooker.
3. Pour 3 to 4 cups of water and pressure cook until 3 whistles.
4. Remove from flame and keep aside.
5. When the pressure has reduced, add sugar and coconut milk.
6. Mix well.
7. Fry the coconut and cashew nuts in little ghee.
8. Add to the rice.
9. Stir to mix well.
10. Just before serving, add the camphor and mix gently.
11. Serve at once.