Capsicum Sambar is a delicious South Indian dish that combines the goodness of lentils, tamarind, and spices with the crunchiness of capsicum. This sambar perfectly blends flavors and textures enjoyed with steamed rice or dosa. Adding capsicum gives the sambar a unique taste and texture, making it an excellent choice for a weekday meal or special occasion.
Capsicum Sambar is not only delicious but also healthy and packed with nutrients. It’s rich taste and vibrant color make it a crowd-pleaser, and it can be easily customized according to one’s preference. For those who enjoy South Indian cuisine, Capsicum Sambar is a must-try recipe.
Capsicum Sambar Recipe
Ingredients for Capsicum Sambar
- 3/4 cup Toor Dal
- 3 tsp Chana Dal
- 1 Onion medium, finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes medium, chopped
- 1 Capsicum large, cut into 8 long pieces
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 lemon size ball Tamarind
- 2 tsp Coriander Leaves chopped
- few Curry Leaves chopped
- 2 to 3 tsp Sambar Powder
- as per taste Salt
- as per taste Red Chilli Powder
- a large pinch Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 tsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/4 tsp Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
How to make Capsicum Sambar
- Add 1 cup of water to the tamarind ball and extract juice. Keep aside.
- Add half of the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, 3 garlic cloves and a pinch of asafoetida with toor dal and chana dal in a pressure cooker.
- Cook for about 4 to 5 whistles.
- Heat 3 tsp of oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add 1 garlic clove and cook for a minute.
- Add the urad dal, jeera, curry leaves and mustard seeds. Allow it to splutter.
- Add a pinch of asafoetida, chopped onions and fry for a minute or two.
- Add capsicum and cook for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and coriander leaves.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and sambar powder.
- Cook for 30 seconds and add 2 cups of water.
- Let it simmer for a while.
- Mash the dal and add it to the pan.
- Cook for a minute.
- Add the tamarind extract and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice.