This vada is made during the new moon day in the Tamil month of Aadi.
Bengal Gram Dal – 1/4 cup
Toor Dal – 1/2 cup
Urad Dal – 1 cup
Green Chilli – 1
Dry Red Chillies – 2
Black Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
Coconut – 3 tsp, grated
Curry Leaves – little
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
1. Soak the three dals for 1 hour, separately.
2. Drain and combine them together.
3. Add salt, red chillies, green chilli and grind to a coarse batter.
4. Add pepper powder, coconut, curry leaves and asafoetida.
5. Mix well to a thick batter.
6. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
7. Take a small portion of the batter and flatten them into a small vada.
8. Add to the hot oil and fry until golden brown.
9. Remove and drain excess oil.
10. Serve as a snack or as a side dish to rice.
image via simply spice / bubblews