Seppankizhangu (Colocasia/Taro Root/Arbi) – 250 gms, small
Tamarind Extract – 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 6
Rice – 2 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
1. Boil the seppankizhangu and peel the skin.
2. Soak the bengal gram dal, rice and dry red chillies together for 15 to 30 minutes.
3. Drain well.
4. Add tamarind extract and grind to a thick paste.
5. Transfer to a bowl and add the peeled seppankizhangu.
6. Mix well and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes, covered.
7. Heat little oil in a pan.
8. Fry the mustard seeds for 20 seconds.
9. Add the curry leaves and fry for another 30 seconds.
10. Add asafoetida powder, turmeric powder and marinated seppankizhangu.
11. Stir well.
12. Cook until crispy and golden.
13. Remove from flame and serve with cooked rice.
Tip: This is best served crispy. Just before serving, stir-fry for a minute if desired.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !