Vadam is a traditional South Indian papad/snack. Generally served with meals, these are often served as snacks too. This variation is made with Jowar.
Jowar or Vellai Cholam – 1 cup, skinless
Dry Red Chillies – 3
Black Peppercorns – few, coarsely powdered
Salt as per taste
1. Wash and soak the jowar for 3 hours.
2. Drain well.
3. Add red chillies, little water and salt.
4. Grind to a smooth paste.
5. Add some more water and mix to a dosa batter consistency.
6. Add the peppercorns and keep aside for 3 hours.
7. Pour a ladleful of the batter into a vadam stand and steam cook till done (about 2 minutes).
8. Remove and keep aside to dry.
9. To serve, fry in hot oil and serve as a side dish.
Tip: If you do not have a vadam stand, use a cleaned banana leaf.
Note: image is for illustration purposes only and not that of the actual recipe.