Kambu (Bajra) – 1 cup
Varagarisi (Kodo Millet) – 1/4 cup
Urad Dal – 1/4 cup + 1 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies – 2
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the kambu, varagarisi, 1/4 cup urad dal and fenugreek in water, separately, for 1 hour.
2. Drain and combine them together.
3. Add coriander leaves, green chillies and salt.
4. Grind to a thick batter.
5. Keep aside for 3 to 4 hours to ferment. After three hours, the batter will become a bit sour.
6. Heat oil in a frying pan.
7. Fry the mustard seeds and urad dal for 30 seconds.
8. Pour into the batter and mix well.
9. Grease a few idli plates and pour the batter into the moulds.
10. Steam cook until done.
11. Serve hot with sambar and chutney.
image credit: shriannalakshmi.blogspot.com
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !