Thoothuvalai Leaves – 1/2 cup
Bengal Gram Dal – 2 tsp
Urad Dal – 2 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 2
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Ghee – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Rice – 1 cup
Salt as per taste
1. Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a pan over medium flame.
2. Saute the dals, dry chillies and asafoetida powder till golden brown.
3. Add the thoothuvalai leaves and stir well.
4. Remove and grind together to a fine powder.
5. Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a pan.
6. Fry the mustard seeds and turmeric powder.
7. Add this to the rice and mix well.
8. Now add the ground powder and salt.
9. Mix well.
10. Serve hot.
Note: Solanum trilobatum also called as thoodhuvalai is widely used in Ayurveda and Siddha medicines to treat the common cold, cough and asthma.